Subject: [Leica] Opticlean--available in the US
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 16:36:26 -0800

- --============_-1315547505==_ma============

I hope I'm not going over old territory here:

Many months ago the availability of OPTICLEAN lens cleaner in the US was
discussed here. At the time no one had found a source. The quoted note from
the manufacturer below was sent out to the Canon EOS list (and turned up on
my web search).

OPTICLEAN is a liquid polymer that is applied to the lens surface. When it
dries it can be lifted off. It bonds with particles and pulls them neatly
away from the lens surface, providing a very thorough cleaning.

The big concern on the EOS list was over which Canon lenses had plastic
rear elements, since OPTICLEAN will damage plastic lenses (probably due to
the action of the volatile solvent that dries away after it's applied.)

I don't think the concern over plastic lenses applies for this group.

>Dear Sir,
>Thank you for your interest in OPTICLEAN.
>We do not have a Distributor for OPTICLEAN in the US.
>However we do have a US bank and have serviced many enquiries from the
>US
>through our bank in California.
>We offer OPTICLEAN in two sizes - a Professional Pack and a Starter
>Pack.
>The Professional Pack will clean about 24 standard lenses - back and
>front.
>The Starter Pack about 12.
>US pricing on these packs, including shipping are as follows
>Professional Pack 1 off at $25, 4 off at $80
>Starter Pack 1 off at $15 4 off at $48
>If you would like to purchase the product please issue a check to
>A D Berg
>777 Hollenbeck Avenue, #12M
>Sunnyvale, CA 94087
>On receipt of funds and a full shipping address we will ship your order
>direct to you from the UK by Air Mail.
>Thank you for your interest in our products.
>Regards
>
>Tony Berg, Managing Director

- -Charlie
             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu
- --============_-1315547505==_ma============

over old territory here:

Many months ago the availability of OPTICLEAN lens cleaner in the US
was discussed here. At the time no one had found a source. The quoted
note from the manufacturer below was sent out to the Canon EOS list
(and turned up on my web search).

OPTICLEAN is a liquid polymer that is applied to the lens surface. When
it dries it can be lifted off. It bonds with particles and pulls them
neatly away from the lens surface, providing a very thorough cleaning.

The big concern on the EOS list was over which Canon lenses had plastic
rear elements, since OPTICLEAN will damage plastic lenses (probably due
to the action of the volatile solvent that dries away after it's
applied.)

I don't think the concern over plastic lenses applies for this group.

<excerpt>Dear Sir,

[...]

</excerpt>