Subject: [Leica] 35 1.4 asph
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 09:50:51 -0400

Well, I finally bit the bullet and while in Amsterdam last week traded my 21
2.8 pre-asph and 35 summilux pre-asph (plus about $250) on a new 35 1.4
asph.

All I can say is, seeing is believing. I just got back the first two rolls I
shot - which happened to be on Fuji 1600. Much of what I shot was of my
15-year-old in a high school play - 2.8 to 1.4 - and I swear it looks better
than what I was getting with the "old" summilux on 400 film. MUCH better.
The 4x6 1600 asa color images remind me, in fact, of what I used to get with
a pre-asph 35 summicron shooting Illford HP5 at about f 2.8-4. I may be
imagining this. It may be that I've been seduced by the look and feel of the
titanium monster - all the dealer had - and how much I have invested in it.
But I don't think that's the case. This is one amazing lens. In fact, if I
had to limit myself to a single lens, this would be it. Then again, I
haven't tried the 75....

B. D.