Subject: [Leica] Re: Ford Rouge Plant
From: "Jim Bielecki" <jbieleck@northland.lib.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 20:31:19 -0500

>If you are not an American citizen, or were educated in a foreign country,
>forgive/ignore the following...But it is far more important as an American
>to know what the Ford Rouge River Plant was and where it fits in the labor
>history/social history/economic history of America than it is to know who
>does or doesn't produce Leica glass. Leica lenses are terrific. Leica
>cameras are terrific. Together the lenses and bodies are top-tier
>photographic tools. Period.

I actually had the opportunity to work at the Ford Rouge Plant when I was
going to college back in the early 70's.  The sheer enormity of the complex
is the first thing that grabs you which is quickly followed by a healthy
dose of respect when you begin to realize this plant's significance in
regards to the history of American manufacturing.  I still make a point of
driving by during my occasional visit to SE Michigan.  It's also a great
place to take a M3 and some Tri-X.

Jim Bielecki