Subject: Re: [Leica] My web page updated
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 13:14:39 -0300

At 01 Jun 1998 23:45:50 +0200, Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
wrote:

> Just wanted to let you know that I have re-designed and expanded my
> photography page,  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator.

It's probably more a reflection of my particular prejudices than an actual
judgement of your photos (I'm prone to find pictures of people far more
engaging than landscapes), but FYI, the one I'm particularly drawn to is:

    http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/mm.JPG

The kids' eyes engage the viewer, and the different protruding lines
implied by the kids' sightlines, their head-angles, the boy's arm,
and the girl's toy box add enough of a frisson that the attention
is retained longer.

    http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/baby.JPG

is appealing, too, but doesn't hold my attention for as long -- it seems one
can take it in and digest it more quickly.

> I have followed several helpful suggestions from some of you; in
> particular, the images are now smaller, around 600x400 pixels, to
> shorten download times and accomodate people with smaller monitors.

H'mm.  Conversely, my most common complaint about pages purporting to feature
photographs is that the images are miserably small and overcompressed, making
it difficult to immerse oneself in the picture.  When I eventually get off my
lazy butt and put some pictures up for general ridicule, I intend to be as
good as my word and put up a lo-res path for the technology have-nots and a
higher-res one for the folk who realize that a computer without lots of
bandwidth and a 24-bit display at at least 1280x1K, well, is no computer to be
looking at pictures on, is it?

...and, actually, I bet that your softly overcast landscapes would be more
seductive were they presented at a more sensually high resolution.

 -Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>