Subject: Re: [Leica] Color print portrait film
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 11:09:09 -0800

>Any film recommendations?

Fuji Reala would be my only choice for a portrait print film. Beautiful
skin tones, fine grained, ASA 100, medium contrast--the ideal choice (and
frequently used for wedding photography for this reason.) I'm shooting some
myself at a wedding this weekend.

>Any thoughts on the setup in general?

Shadows can be a little cool in color temp. A slight warming filter
wouldn't hurt. I'm always wary of flash--if you're shooting in open shade
then there shouldn't be much need for fill. This will also free you up on
the shutter speed issue. If you shoot a test roll I would try a few without
flash.

>Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

And don't shortchange the Elmarit as a portrait lens. It's the best 90mm
lens in the world. Have a look at my photo of an Armenian herdsman taken in
April with this lens. http://www.surfnetusa.com/cdunlap/herdsman.html I was
stopped down to f/4 or f/5.6. For your purposes I would try it wide open.
If you can get the background about 8 to 10 feet behind the girls it should
blur beatifully (I'm guessing a bit here).

Good luck. Let us know how it came out.

- -Charlie