Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz and Leica Glass
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 11:48:15 -0700

Marc James Small wrote:

> Patrick
>
> Eastland's book is so laden with error that I do not regard it as an
> acceptable source for any proposition!

I agree with you on that -- but you cited it!

But let's talk about Guenter Osterloh, a product manager at Leitz in
Wetzlar and also an instructor at the Leica Academy.  Surely this is a
man in a position to know whether Leitz ever melted the glass for some
of the elements of some of the production lenses.  He says:

"To this day, Leitz itself produces only relatively small amounts of six
to eight tons of special glasses.  Among them are glasses with anomalous
partial dispersion, which possess certain qualities of crystals, and
which are used in 180 mm f/3.4 APO-Telyt-R and 800 mm f/6.3 Telyt-S
lenses."

- -  Guenter Osterloh, "Excellence in Photography: Applied Leica
Technique," p. 15, 2nd English-language edition, Umschau Verlag, 1985.

I only consider it important to nail this down because Marc is one of
those industrious people who's liable to go and write a book about
things like this, so we have to make sure he hears all the evidence!

- -Patrick