Subject: [Leica] rangefinder alignment test
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 19:29:52 EDT

 The cam that actuates the rf movement on "M" Bodies is made from a very
 hard steel so that it will wear as little as possible over a long period of
time
 (like 50 years). I have yet to see a worn roller cam on 60 year old Leica
II(D).

 Therefore if the rangefinder is aligned at infinity & the focus is correct,
there
 is no further adjustment required unless the camera had been dropped or
 otherwise damaged & it will then probably need parts replacement.

 If you will carefully look at the center rectangle and either move the camera
 or your eye around (diagonally preferred) you will notice the alignment will
 shift slightly.  If that is the case --- you must learn to look straight
through,
 the same as if you were to align the sights on a gun.  A rangefinder is only
 as accurate as its 2 point base difference and that is one of the reasons
 that a rifle is more accurate than a short barreled pistol,  if all other
things
 are equal.  - It is best to do the above test using a bare light bulb as
subject.

 Marvin Moss