Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Prints from slides
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 16:54:26 -0400

At 02:05 PM 06-06-98 -0700, m wrote:
>Dan Cardish wrote:
>>
>> At 12:55 PM 06-06-98 -0700, you wrote:
>
>8-bits per color is not enough to do a reasonable scan. 10-bits per color
>is close to being OK. 12-bits is much better, yet even at this depth you
>are only achieving a color range akin to 400ASA film (in my experience).

Most personal computer monitors are only capable of displaying 8 bits per
colour, and most colour printers such as my Epson Photo are also only
capable of printing 8 bits per colour (24 bits).  Photoshop 5 (and to a
lesser extent Photoshop 4) can read 16 bit TIF files from those scanners
that are able to create such a beast, but usually, these files are tweaked
and then written down to the more usual 24 bit version.   Just because a
scanner can read 30, 32 or more bits, doesn't mean that you end up with an
image file with more than 24 bits, and doesn't mean that you need more than
24 bits in the final output file.

Dan C,