Subject: [Leica]Why a new 50mm Summilux-M?
From: "Jeff Alford" <alford@batnet.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 11:58:04 -0700

I do not understand where this idea about a new 50/1.4M lens comes from.

First of all, the current 50/1.4 recently benefited from a mechanical
overhaul recently (focusing to 28 inches versus 40 inches, built-in shade
and uses 46mm filters instead of 43mm). I cannot image they would overhaul
so soon after the previous upgrade. Secondly, every time a new M lens comes
out there has not been a new R lens. So why should the reverse be true?
Besides, very few M and R lenses share the same optical formula.

If you need the 50/1.4, go out buy it. Enjoy it. It is a great lens already.

Jeff Alford