Subject: [Leica] Superiority of M over SLR
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 00:17:59 -0400

On Sun, 07 Jun 1998, Chris M. Fortunko wrote:

>Leicanuts,
>
>I lost a whole bunch of shots today, because I was using an SLR by anoth=
er
>famous maker. I should have used my 135mm/2.8 first-version Elmarit
(before
>M). The M finder allows tracking of flying exotic birds much more easily=

>than that of an SLR, which is like Bill Gates' What You See Is What You
Get.
>Too bad the rangefinders cannot work with longer lenses. I think that I
will
>have to get wire sights for my SLR. Then, I will be able to finally take=
>photo of the blue heron that flew over my head 10 times today.
>
>Best of Light,
>
>Chris

Chris,

Even with the most appropriate equipment and best skill, flying birds are=
difficult subject.  I've been working at it for nearly 30 years and most =
of
what I've learned is that a manual-focus, twising-ring focus lens isn't
very useful.  The lens and camera I've found most productive are the
Leicaflex SL and the 400 f/6.8 Telyt.

- -Doug