Subject: Re: [Leica] Pradovit P150--and RT300
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 14:02:04 -0700

> From: Jeff S
> When you get a chance to try it out, why not post a review? Besides
outright
> performance, it's good to know whether it's likely to be the first
projector
> you reach for when it's time to give a show, or whether something else
> captures your fancy by virtue of convenience, etc.

So far, I have liked the RT300, which is very similar to a Kodak projector,
and was made by Leitz from 1980-1986. Lens performance with my Colorplan
90mm/2.5 is brighter with more contrast than the standard Kodak lenses and
maybe even a tad sharper than my Pro-Tamron 2.8/70-125mm zooms. I haven't
tried the Leica lens in a Kodak projector yet. It runs a bit quieter than a
Kodak and I like the Hi and Lo settings for the bulb. Autofocus works fine,
but doesn't seem quite as fast as my Kodaks (maybe the lubricant is just
old).

The best feature is the Kodak Carousel tray compatibility. I owned a Zeiss
projector years ago that used the European straight trays. I was used to
Sawyer's straight trays with lid and spring clips that kept everything in
place. The end of the Zeiss and those European trays came the first time I
tilted the trays a tad too far and watched them all spill on the floor just
before a slide program. If my sale of Leitz trays on the LUG were not still
pending, I would almost be tempted to admit that those trays qualify for
the stupidest photographic design award of the century!

Another RT300 feature I really like is the quick adjustment for front
elevation - a release bar that allows you to quickly adjust the leg, then
do fine adjustment with the threaded wheel. Even old Sawyer's projectors
had that feature, but my Kodaks do not. With the Kodak, my "quick
adjustment" is a stack of playing cards I always carry, so I don't have to
crank the elevation wheel forever.  The spring loaded electrical cord
take-up reel is a great feature of the RT300, too. I do not like the lack
of an RT300 storage housing for the remote. Newer Kodaks also allow removal
of a Carousel tray without turning on the power. With older Kodaks and the
RT300, you need to turn power on to eject a slide and rotate the tray for
removal.

I keep the RT300 setup on a desk pointing at a pull-down beaded screen and
mostly use it for editing or for an occasional slide show in the living
room.  For slide programs, I am still using a pair of Kodak Medalist (same
as 4600 model) projectors with the wonderful Pro-Tamron Zoom lenses and a
Gemini Model 2000 Programmer/Dissolve unit. The molded Sirtage III
projector carrying case works great for storage and transport, since it is
tough and can contain the projector with the lens. My other case is a
Tiffin, but I have to remove the lens for it. Does anyone know where to
find another Sirtage case?  I use a regular captain's carrying case for
transporting dissolve unit, cords, flashlight, bulbs, candy bars, etc.

Someone told me that the Pro-Tamron's were eleven element lenses. I have
never been able to find specs on them, but highly recommend them. Very
heavy, very bright, and very sharp, especially for zooms. I bought them
used for $200 each at KX camera in Santa Barbara (see Shutterbug
classifieds). The only disadvantage is the maximum 125mm length, which puts
you right in the middle of the audience in some rooms.

My next slide program is July 5th at the St Paisius monastery in
Forestville (near Santa Rosa), CA. My Leicas and I spent a week last fall
at the order's new monastery on Spruce Island near Kodiak, Alaska,
documenting some of the construction and the beauty of that remote island.
One memorable scene - washing dishes with sand at the edge of Monk's lagoon
in a three-foot wide stream teeming with pink salmon at our fingertips, as
Father Theodore and I discussed Novell computer networks on an island with
no electricity!

Regards,

Gary Todoroff