Subject: Re: [Leica] 35-70/4.0 newest
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 18:40:35 -0400

Dick Hemingway asked:

<snip>How good is the new 35-70/4.0-R with the aspherical element??? <snip>

I've been using the latest 35-70/4 aspheric zoom for almost a year.  It is
delightful to use, produces clear contrasty images and has competent macro
focusing.  It is a good general lens to leave on a R 6.2 or R8.  It
produces good images wide open.  Interesting to watch the front end of the
lens move in and out when you focus and change focal lengths.  You won't
notice if you have the lens shade screwed onto the front of this lens.  The
internal lens cams must be a bit complex but they work well.  The most
surprising thing about the lens is the light weight.  Due to the lens'
diameter, it looks heavy.  Its quite interesting to pick it up and wonder
where Leitz saved the weight.  Maybe they used this newer technology to
lighten up the 75/1.4 M Sumilux lens.

I'd buy it again. I haven't tried the Kyocera built 28-70/4 zoom.  It did
not have the macro focusing feature of the 35-70 and was less appealing to
me.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD