Subject: [Leica] It Happened to me...
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 18:40:37 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I read many posts about new Leica lenses - mostly R - that were found to
have dirt and debris in them.  I found it hard to believe that the quality
control from Leica could be so bad.  Well, I attended a camera clinic in
Philadelphia this past weekend at Mid-City Camera and took along a R6.2 and
6 month old 50/2 Summicron lens.  When I took the lens off the body, I
noticed it had about 8 pieces of debris on the internal lens elements.
They weren't there when the lens was purchased new 6 months earlier.  In
fact, the debris wasn't there a month ago.  Its baffling.

Perhaps Leica has a problem with one of the lubricants or "plastic"
internal componenets that tends to break up over time.  Although the lens
seemed to focus well, I left it with the Leica technician to take back with
her to Leica New Jersey.  Its still unbder warranty.  I don't think this is
a problem caused by lack of inspection with initial lens assembly.  It
seems to be something that develops later with normal use.

Anyone out there have anything else to add to this subject?

Thanks,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA