Subject: [Leica] "The Family of Man" & Viewing Perspective
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 20:34:49 EDT

>  How could I know where the observer will be in relation to the print
>  before I make the enlargement?  I have thought long and hard about this
>  but I don't get it.  Surely, the distance a person stands from a
>  picture depends on his eyesight.  Alf is probably right and I'm missing
>  an important point, but what is it.   Alan Hull
  Somewhere in our archives is a post giving the mathematical formula for the
 optimum viewing distance of prints or paintings in different sizes.  I
remember
 that many years ago, there was a famous exhibit of large photographs called
 "The Family of Man" some of which were over 6 by 8 feet & you had to stand
 far back to see them in proper perspective whereas you would view a contact
 print from about a foot away.

  In early 19th century France, an artist  named Seurat developed a form of
 painting using  juxtoposed dots from which you had to view from a distance
 just to see an image.

 In using a Leica particularily, with a choice of so many lens focal lengths,
 one must keep in mind that perspective is determined by distance in both
 shooting and viewing.  I have been to galleries where I wanted to step back
 to view a print & others where I wanted to come closer to see more detail.
 Most people are comfortable looking at an 8x10 or 11x14 at arms length,
 but anything larger should really be hung so that it can be viewed from a
 greater distance. ------  Marvin Moss