Subject: [Leica] NASA Leica MDa & SL
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 21:06:45 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/98 Pacific Time, dcardish@microtec.net wrote:
>  It is true (as far as I know) that an off the shelf 50 summicron was used
>  on an unmanned sattelite (explorer?) that took video of the moon as it
>  crashed into it.  I think this was in the early 60s.
>  Dan C.
   To the best of my remembrance, the NASA cameras had a enlarged and
 modified controls so that they could be used with gloved hands on a manned
 flight.  These were the MDa & SL (both mid 60's) so Dan must be referring
 to something earlier that I am not familiar with.  Was this a Leitz lens in a
 Video Camera mount?  I can't for the life of me imagine why.   Marvin