Subject: [Leica] Leica new normal Zooms capabilities, was: 35-70/4.0 newest
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 13:37:23 +0200

Am I the only one who never even 'think' to buy
the 35-70/4 because of the lack of polarizing
possibility, the f/4 and the separate lens hood ?

IMO, the ergonomy  and capabilities of that lens are
not worthy of Leica.
The company capable of the integration of a sliding lens hood
in a R-28/2,8 and in a M-50/2, capable of the complete
redisign of the 35-70/3,5 (E67) in order to give it polarizing
capability, capable of the production of a polarizer for M lenses
and capable of the making of a 70-180/2,8 as good as the
100/2,8 Apo, shouldn't come with that "N.design like" lens.
It's not a good partner for the new 80-200/4 for travel.
I have no doubt it give great results, but IMHO ergonomy
and capabilities are also important parts of the Leica
lens reputation (and price), together with the lens quality.
What is excusable with the Tri-Elmar is not with a R zoom.
The same apply IMO to both the 28-70/3,5.
(And to the first 35-70/3,5 (E60).)

Until the release of the guessed 'Apo-Asph.35-90/2,8,
or 35-100/2,8', (I hope it will not be a 35-70/2,8)
I will continue to use my good old 50/2.
IMHO, it's much more an universal lens.
;-)

Maybe that's where I'm wrong: Leica never intend to sell
those zooms as universal lenses.
;-)

Lucien