Subject: [Leica] Leica vindication!
From: nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie (Neil Frankish)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:59:44 +0100

Just had a nice experience which helps vindicate my paying large sums for
my leica M gear (not that I need further vindication after 18 months of
Leica). The minister of education opened our new Scool of Pharmacy building
and I was there with the Leica to finish off a roll of Fuji Superia. The
press were there, with their F5's and EOS1's (and using flash all the time,
even though we were in an atrium with a glass roof and hazy sunshine) and a
newspaper provided an 8X12 of a group of dignitaries. I had a couple of
nice ones from the 10 exp. I took, including one of a similar group. The
12X8 1-hour-lab-machine print that I provided was universally commented on
(and not in my presence) as being of far higher *quality* than the press
one (bearing in mind that a group photo like this has no artistic
attraction). To me, the leica print looked (only a little) sharper, but it
seemed to have more depth somehow; I don't know how else to describe it. I
think this is the first time I have been able to directly compare shots of
similar subjects under similar lighting from Leica and pro Cannikon gear.
None of my colleages know anything about Leica vs Cannikon, so while the
printing quality probably has a part to play, I prefer to think that the
Leica quality has shone through, and I made a wise decision to buy. It is
easy to persuade yourself that your photos are nicer, after paying so much!

Neil