Subject: [Leica] Vario-Elmar R 35-70 mm, f4 w/close focusing
From: "Greg Bicket" <gbicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:59:37 -0600

After following the various comments regarding this new lens with interest,
two rolls of Velvia shot [through my new 35-70 mm, f4 w/close focusing] came
back from the lab yesterday and compel me to offer some comments.

There is no debate that this lens has some personality quirks.  Its design
does make polarizer use problematic.  Leica polarizer problems are certainly
not unique to this zoom.  Indeed, design quirks would seem to qualify this
lens for membership in [at least some] the Leica line.  Its hood is
certainly not as convenient as most in the R line.

As an avid amateur, I recognize that this lens might be unnacceptably
cumbersome for professionals in specific applications.  But this alone is no
felony indictment of any lens in my view.  Leica provides three lenses in
roughly these focal lengths, adequate selection for amateurs and
professionals alike.  This is the home of some odd photographic
contraptions, lest we forget.  Many, many times it's been said on this
thread that specific gear has great utility in specific applications.  So it
is again.

It surprises me that so little has been said about the lens optically.
While all zooms are optical compromises versus lenses of prime focal length,
this one has made some impressive images under some challenging
circumstances.  Very, very sharp, impressive depth, and with absolutely
robust colors.  Very good flare suppression.  I have lots more to learn
about this lens, but these early slides testify to the lens' image making
capacity.  The "look" of images it made certainly qualifies it as part of
the Leica line.

The lens is a zoom, with the additonal complication of offering close
focusing capacity, and I would never dream of wrestling with any
photographer over resolution quality of [almost] any zoom versus prime
length lenses.  As LUGgers we have the luxury of having a refreshingly
objective optical scientist in our midst, and I am delighted to leave the
quantitative analysis of these optics to Erwin.  But so much of what makes
Leica glass special in my view is subjective.  So much of what makes many
Leica lenses superlative will never be captured on a test bench or measured
with meters.

This lens may not be one of Leica's classics, but it's a good one.