Subject: Re: [Leica] Vario-Elmar R 35-70 mm, f4 w/close focusing
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:10:08 EDT

<< It surprises me that so little has been said about the lens optically.
 While all zooms are optical compromises versus lenses of prime focal length,
 this one has made some impressive images under some challenging
 circumstances. >>

Your point about zoom lenses is well taken.  While I prefer fixed focal length
lenses for most situations, some zooms are quite good.  I don't have this
lens, but I can say that at least one Canon (28-70 L) and some of the Zeiss
Contax zooms (eg. 37-70; 28-85; 35-135; 100-300) perform very, very well).

Tom Shea