Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic: Palm Pilot
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 22:04:11 -0600

I've had the PP Pro for some time now, and though I haven't gotten the
modem, I have used the email feature, which hot-synchs with Eudora or in my
case MS Outlook Express. Email synchronization is not available for the Mac,
unfortunately-they claim that it's not a case of someone getting lazy, but
rather, a big diff in the way Mac and Windows mail software works.

What's fabulous about the Pilot:
- -Small
- -Decent screen (small, but makes good use of the real estate)
- -Quick
- -Simple
- -Batteries last forever
- -Won't weigh down even an M user :-)

Not so fabulous:
- -The LUG sometimes comes close to pushing the PPP to it's limits (around 100
emails, I think)
- -The PP III seems like a lukewarm upgrade

I figured 3Com was going to get steamrollered by the new PalmPC devices
running WindowsCE, but my first encounter with the Everex unit suggests that
they got nothing to worry about yet--PalmPC looks great in ads, but in use,
it feels like they tried to stuff too much into too little, and the result's
miserable.

If you can get one cheap, and can accept the fact that it's been orphaned,
the Newton Messagepad 2000 and 2100 are tops, aside from a strange serial
port arrangement.