Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon/Leica lenses (was Re: Leica Nomenclature)
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:03:57 EDT

<< but it and all the other L lenses seem to pale by
 comparison to the 180/3.5 Macro lens.  Has anybody used
 this lens and compared it to the equivalent focal lengths in
 Leica's R range?  Is it really as exceptional as these graphs
 would indicate?

 I currently own a Leica M system, and a Canon EOS system >>

Simon, this is truly an outstanding lens.  It has very high resolution and
very fine contrast.  It is also well built - solid and smooth.  The MTF graphs
are excellent, as you note (for what they are worth).  I do not have any Leica
R lenses so I cannot compare it to them.  It is every bit as good as the three
Zeiss Contax macros I have and is significantly better than the Zeiss 180
(non-macro).  The Canon EF 180 3.5L and the Canon EF 135 2.0L are the sharpest
Canon lenses I own.

Tom Shea