Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica new normal Zooms capabilities,was:35-70/4.0newest
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:29:23 -0700

Unfortunate that you can't see a smile by e-mail.  Didn't mean it personally at all.  I agree that mechanically this is an odd lens for the Leica lineup.  (Its appearance, by the way, is very similar to its new sister 28-70.)  If you have any thought of using a polarizer, forget this lens.  The images it takes, however, are definitely part of the family.

:-)
Bob

>>> Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> 06/09 7:34 PM >>>
Easy does it Bob. A better question would be "when's the last time I used
flash at all?" Five years ago for a friends wedding. I use polarizers
nearly 100% of the time. I surely was not saying "don't get this lens" and
I do know it is a great lens. But with the hood on, it doesn't pack well
and the hood has to come off to use filters. Albeit, you can put it back
on... But my point is that with the lenses that Leica is currently
producing, this seems to be a mechanical black sheep. Everything is going
toward integrated shade and non-rotating front element. Except this lens.

Jim

At 06:48 PM 6/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Jim wrote:
><<A great lens for those who don't use polarizers or lens hoods.>>
>
>What are talking about?  The integrated lens hood on this lens never comes
off the lens, and the front cap fits over it, much like the lens hoods on
the newer M lenses.  It is a great hood, and I use it 100% of the time.

>I use this lens with an R4s when I want flash indoors.  When was the last
time you used a polarizer indoors with flash?

>I have comparison chromes of this lens, an ASPH 35mm M, a 90 Elmarit-M,
and a DR 50 Summicron.  It is most definitely in the same league as those
lenses.