Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:17:07 -0700

TEAShea@aol.com wrote:

> Some people seem to think that they can demonstrate the quality of a lens by
> photos posted on the Internet.  While one may be able to tell the difference
> between a disposable camera and a current generation Summicron 50 2.0, it is
> simply not possible to distinguish between higher quality lenses by this
> method.

Tom, I'm not so sure that this is uniformly the case.  There are some
very high-end film scanners that can do 10,000 dpi optical (the
Linotype-Hell S3900, for example).  Most of us are not willing to pay
what it costs to have our film scanned on these scanners, but their
resolution is sufficient to capture very fine detail -- it's somewhere
in the neighborhood of what Technical Pan can resolve.  If one has two
exposures that show differences in lens quality, then one can show that
on the Web by showing small portions of the scan on a Web page.

- -Patrick