Subject: [Leica] Re: Photos on the Web
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:47:14 +0200

On 12-06-1998 05:59 Chandos Michael Brown wrote:

>I've checked out, for intance, several sites, where photos captured w/
>thousands of dollars worth of gear are indistinguishable from equivalent
>images that one might have shot with a disposable camera: flat, banal, mere
>reportage, which can be engaging if it reveals some sensibility, but, if
>not, is nothing more than an Instamatic's glimpse into the rich world we
>inhabit.

Sorry Chandos, but your above mentioned statement is risking to be
understood as denigrating and snobbish.
Where do you get the right to judge other's works in this way? What you
said are, of course, your own remarks and should be treated as such with
all respect, but I find nothing wrong with "mere reportage" type of
photographs as such. Different people take pictures for different
reasons, and who are we to critize each other's works in this respect?
What is fine for one person is not necessarily fine for an other one. Has
it occurred to you that some people might even like to simply use Leica
tools because of the tools and the fun that accompanies taking pictures
with such fine machinery, without necessarily wanting to deliver a
"message" with each of their pictures? Everybody is entitled to his/her
own opinion.
Just a thought.

Pascal