Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photos on the Web (longish)
From: "Chandos Michael Brown" <cmbrow@MAIL.WM.EDU>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 16:26:56 -0400

I recall that when I was studying photography as an undergrad at the
University of New Mexico, one of the instructors insisted that we choose
only 2 or 3 images out of every 36 or so to bring to class.  I've seen a lot
of discussion, much of it interesting, on the LUG relating to different
'editing' techniques.  I suppose it *is* "elitist" to cull some images from
others according to some [fill in the blank] criteria, just as I suppose
that, "do you want to see the slides of my vacation," became a symbol for
the most boring conceivable evening in popular American culture precisely
*because* the proud photgrapher failed to do so.

I don't wish to suggest that there's some transcendent standard against
which all images must or should be judged: different horses for different
course, chalk and cheese, and all that.  I am curious to learn why *some* of
us agree that some images are more compelling than others, and, more
important, what do we think we're doing when we take photographs.

I can appreciate the process of using fine equipment as an end in itself,
but if this were the only end, why not carry an M6 empty and click the
shutter just for the pleasure of the sound it makes?  One does, I supect,
*usually* load the thing--and even here one makes an "elitist" choice: B &
W, chrome, what speed to be developed in what way.  It seems to me that it's
nearly impossible to use a tool without previsualizing the object it was
designed to realize.  I built a desk for a friend last week.  I used a
bandsaw for some things, a planer for others, a tablesaw, and what often
seems like an astonishing array of hand tools to "realize" my sense of how
wood should be joined, finished, how it should look.  The best-sharpened
hand plane is nothing but a weight of steel and iron until it shaves wood
and a camera is merely a complicated device until one captures light with
it.

The issue I've tried to raise here, after reading thousands of LUG posts
over the last several months, is to open some consideration of the sight we
bring to the world and our motives for recording it.  *Everyone* on this
list, persumably--though I'm not sure at times--burns film.  Some do it for
a living, others to it for the love of art, and yet others for satisfaction
from the processes, both mechanical and chemical, it entails.  Yet we share
in common at some level what Veblen called the "instinct for workmanship."
I'm just curious to know a little about what we can imagine that "instinct"
to be.

For raising this consideration, I am condemned as a "snob," "elitist," the
arrogator of "rights" of interpretation that I am unlicensed to claim.

Strange . . .

Chandos