Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photos on the Web
From: "dannyg1@idt.net" <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 16:19:55 +0000

Mark,

While we'd all like to think of great artists as having some alien gift that leaves them
separate, yet still existing with us, it isn't so. They're as human as we are and as flawed. A
good argument could be made that excited levels of awareness, incite and creativity
leads to equally exaggerated moments of boredom and despair.

Seems to me that expecting great art from every and any ordinary moment/situation is
far too harsh a yardstick by which to measure greatness.

Alan,

> Chandos, to me, looking through a SLR is like being on the back row of
> a cinema looking at the screen.  Conversely, looking through a
> rangefinder is like looking through a glass window.  On-line life.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now. The tunnelvision effect is a side effect of
viewfinder magnification and robs the photographer of a personal connection to the
subject. Anyone who's used an Olympus OM1, Pentax MX or even the lesser magnified,
though far better than R8, Leica R4: Larger view magnifications make better photos.

Danny Gonzalez