Subject: Re: [Leica] New M6 user
From: Alan Ball/LUNA<AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:05:57 +0200

Hi, welcome to the club...

I am also a Leica M newbie. On the LUG time scale anyway (I purchased my M6
in January). Being a cynical newbie, I think I managed to avoid the "new
convert" syndrom and remain capable of some distance between that object of
infinite financial burden and myself  ;-)

So, a few words that I hope might help you in your journey:

1) The M6 metering system is antiquated but pretty reliable. If you have
used center-weighed metering on your Nikons, you'll manage with the M6.

2) The M6 is antiquated in many other aspects: there seems to be some
dialectical relationship between frustration and pleasure entailed by this.
I wish it was radically modernized. Most people on this mailing list feel
this would be an act of treason.

3) Black is less expensive than chrome and is much lighter. Chrome is only
worth the pain if you want a chrome M6 with a chrome lens. Which is the
authentic ? The LUG sect is divided on this issue.

4) 35mm f2 asph that superior ? Maybe, if your hobby is to shoot resolution
charts, you might, in certain cases, be able to recognize on your slides a
slight advantage at f2. But most probably not. Of course, if you go on
reading this list, you'll gradually feel more and more insecure with a lens
that is not part of the latest generation. I resisted till last Saturday.

5) Never mention flash here. My advice is to go for a powerful Metz unit
for daylight fill-in (the auto thyristor management of the 40 MZ-3 can be
tweaked even at apertures as large as f1.4 with reasonnably fast film,
which is not the case for SB24/25/26/28 for example). Having written that,
I must confess I hardly ever carry that flash around: too big. A small
flash is useless, due to the antiquated x sync of the antiquated shutter.

6) There are many pictures you will NOT be able to take with the M system
and that you can take with your Nikon system. Make sure you never do macro
or tele work before jumping in. Once you have jumped in, it will be too
late, you'll just "have to have" a Leica R setup for those applications....

7) A very good picture, I mean a really good one, like the one out of every
ten rolls, sometimes works even better when it is shot through a
contemporary M system than when it is shot through any Canikmintax. But not
radically so. And a boring, useless image remains so even if you use the
most expensive options of the much too expensive M system.

Why buy a M system then ? My answer is because it is compact, simple,
reliable, efficient and fun. And because the focusing ring, the aperture
ring, the advance lever and the shutter release are so smooooooth. Maybe,
just maybe, the intimate knowledge of using near perfect optics might make
you feel better and more confident at shooting time, and maybe, just maybe,
this will encourage you to work more and to shoot more, and maybe, just
maybe, working more and shooting more will give you the pleasure of
creating more really good pictures. Just maybe.

Alan
Brussels-Belgium.

Fstop008@aol.com on 15/06/98 10:12:54
Please respond to leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us