Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG web space project
From: "dannyg1@idt.net" <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 1927 13:37:49 +0000

Alf/All,

Francesco has made an offer to the LUG membership that's both extraordinarily kind
and of good heart; I thank him for making the offer. IMO your objections have been
spoken with a kind of  'beneath us' disdain that's innappropriate, at best; in effect
'criminalizing' Francesco for offering of himself.

> I will not change my mind, and I refuse to accept, that essential parts of
> the LUG might be managed by you.

Your point of concern comes from the Playboy courtcase and the listing of the 5senses
server as a 'pornographic' one. His explanation for what led to the court decision was,
beyond being none of our business, credible. From what Francesco has told us, he
participates in a genre of photography known as 'glamour' photography, much the same
as the work of our own LUG hero Erwin Puts.

Would you have a problem showing your photos next to Erwin's?

What if Compuserve offered us free space? I presume that the perception Compuserve
promotes, that of a 'civilized neighborhood', would appeal to you?

Here we have an established entity which includes a photoforum. Their photoforum has
member rules which specifically permit the 'right' of the forum staff to selectively
discriminate on the basis of POV (or for whatever reason best fits). They also track
where their membership goes and make a 'profile' history available to whomever they'ld
like (be they advertisers, spammers or maybe even religious zealots) without notifying
the user. And they're owned by AOL, whose membership is notorious as the most
prolific consumers of pornographic materials on the net.

It would seem that finding a server innocuous enough to meet your requirements would
be a rough task I'm fairly sure none of us are pure enough to undertake in an honestly,
'personally pure enough' sense.

I say none of this to antagonize you and want you to understand that. I do however,
object to claimed Puritanism as vocally as you object to pornography.

Men, glass houses, stones and all that.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez