Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG web space project
From: "dannyg1@idt.net" <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 05:24:43 +0000

B. D.,

Please make no mistake, I feel no ill-will towards Alf at all. I understand the point he's
making but don't understand, or like, the derisive overtones he's chosen to make that
point with.

> The question before us as a group has nothing to do with Francesco's morals
> or how he earns a photographic living. Rather, it has to do with what the
> LUG is or isn't and what the group does or does not want to be associated
> with.

The above thought is nonsensical: How can we be concerned with a perceived, negative
association and not be speaking to Francesco's morality? My point is that it's not our
place to be approaching any of this in this manner. Were not the Leica Puritans, were the
Leica users group. When a member offers us his abilities from the kindness of his heart,
I'm sure it's not done with the idea that we'll judge his worthiness to 'own' an important
part of the LUG proper. IMO, this has been a serious slight on Francescos character and
credibility; it is needlessly inappropriate. Few, or none, of us has offered all here
something so valuable, so freely.

> I, for one, believe that we have to respect the views of the more
> senior members on this one.

I'm at a loss to see why. If we dissect the objections, they're without true meaning.
Playboy _steals copyright and makes outlandish amounts of money on that bounty.
Francesco's work is of the same genre/style as Erwin's: someone I assume by what I've
read here, none of us would be afraid to associate ourselves with.

What exactly is the point of the exercise? We're all interested in different genres, styles,
techniques and flavors of photography. It's our diversity that makes us interesting and
it's our respect of one-another that makes us, well 'us'.

> there is the issue of the public record, public perception, and whether
> discretion might be much the better part of valor in this case.

Copyright is close to home, I agree. I do, however, refuse to take the interests of
Playboy, as they pertain to copyrights, at all seriously - public record be damned.
Glamour and/or soft porn is a fact of photographic life. Either we all learn to accept our
complete diversity or we lie about what exactly a Leica user can be.

Danny Gonzalez