Subject: [Leica] Delete this message
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:09:18 -0500

At 09:10 AM 6/19/98 +0100, you wrote:

>about his taste. But what really scares me was Francesco's call for
>originals (to scan them (to make dubes?)) before having done anything.

Christian,

I think you can trust Francesco on this point. I've had a long
correspondence with him asking me technical questions, and in fact, his
interest in Leica can at least partially be traced to me. He is sincere in
his interest in Leica and photography in general.

I really believe it is unfair to lay the copyright violation charge on him,
in any moral sense, because he was not the one who put illegal copies of
pictures on his server, and considering the way the Internet works, it's
rather crazy to expect anyone to be able to monitor everything that goes on
on any given web site. He was as much a victim as anything else on that
point. Playboy, who hardly has a high moral ground to stand on, was using
him as an example in a flailing attempt to control content on the Internet.
Kind of like herding cats.

As for his nekkid pictures, porn or not, it's legal. This is America (where
HE is) and thus freedom of expression is protected. No one will be able to
connect a LUG site to nudity and such, so I think this is all a tempest in
a teapot, and has gone way overboard in terms of taste and finger-pointing.
Francesco really likes photography, as well as nudies, so let's not pretend
he's the only one who likes looking at nekkid wimmin. (Note, that's with an
Arkansas drawl), or that he's not interested in photography in general.

- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.