Subject: [Leica] The LUG, a bunch of great people.
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 21:18:28 -0700

The last time I checked, the Leica Users Group was supposed to be
discussions based around Leica cameras & photography. Whenever you assemble
a group of people, regardless of the reason, some individuals always bring
extra baggage. Have hidden agendas. Have some ax to grind. These are the
individuals who, for unknown reasons, cannot let anything go by without
getting involved. I've been reading some of the recent stuff and find it
very amusing. Here's a bunch of people, scattered around the world, acting
like what someone else says, in an email, is a life or death situation.
Tempers flare, law suits threatened. For what? To prove that perhaps "YOU
ARE THE GREATEST?" Greatest what?

The LUG is an avocation, not a vocation. If someone makes an offer, or
makes an "off the wall" statement, and you aren't interested in what is
offered, or said, IGNORE IT. If your psyche will not allow you to ignore
it, take it off the LUG, directly to the individual whom you, as an
individual, cannot resist responding to. Individual to individual. Keep the
LUG (the majority of us) OUT OF THE LOOP.

I make good use of Eudora's filters. I have added some new names to my
"Transfer --> Trash" filter. I personally do not want to read "hype,
drivel, or diatribe" about anything. There are numerous people who write
volumes on the LUG, without saying anything. Or they are abusive. After a
period of time, a pattern is evident. On my machine, they are relegated to
Filter - Transfer - Trash. Perhaps I will miss some "profound" statement.
So what! I don't care. And I suspect that the majority of LUGgers, who are
genuinely interested in Leica and photography, don't care either.

I think everyone should stop, take a deep breath, hug somebody, and take a
24 hour "time-out".

I urge you not to respond to the above part of this post. I will neither
defend it nor otherwise comment on it.

I understand that there is another "Leica" based *moderated* e-mail group
in existence. If I find it, I'll post appropriate info. Moderated means
that the kind of stuff that has been going on, on the LUG, won't be
tolerated publicly on the list.

Then let's talk about Leica photography.

Been photographing lately? Have any photographic experiences to share? Ian?
Alastair? Ted? Even alchemist Oddmund would be a breath of fresh air. Marc,
tell us about the next book that you are working on.

This past week, I sold a lens to and bought a lens from fellow LUGgers.
Wonderful people.

What have I been doing? The past two weekends I spent in Carmel/Monterey
CA. Ran through about 20 rolls of Velvia (R7 & 100/2.8 APO) and E200 &
MS100/1000 (M6 & 35/1.4 ASPH) at various EI's. I'm also preparing for a
Workshop that I am teaching next week in San Francisco. Travel Photography
and Self Publishing.
Lecture, field trip, critique. Should be fun. I'll file a report after I'm
done. If anyone is interested.

Let's hear what you've been doing, or are going to do.

Cheers,

Jim