Subject: [Leica] Re: lens scratches
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:23:08 EDT

<<Someone should snap-up this lens. Those marks are absolutely meaningless.
There is no possible way to tell the difference between a new front element
an one with a few light marks. Especially near the edge. I have a 180 or
I'd grab it. $750... great great bargain.

I don't know just exactly what lens this is since I haven't been looking at
this for a few days, but I can testify that a few scratches on a lens make
absolutely no difference. My brother had a Nikon (Oh be quiet, it's ok,
really) 24mm lens that he used for commercial shoots. The rear element had,
not a scratch, but an absolute dig across it -- absolutely astonishing damage,
but he said it was of the sharpest lenses he had (before he switched to
Swedish large format junk) and I saw the proof in his pictures.

I was reading the Leica manual last night on the subject of bubbles in glass,
a similar fear, and it said even earlier lenses that had lots of them actually
didn't have much problem. I have a summitar -- 1950 -- that has a couple of
bubbles and have never noticed any problem with it. These tiny scratches are
probably similar in effect. If this is a 180 R lens for 750 bucks i wish i had
the money.

the horrible truth is that small defects don't make THAT much difference.

charlie trentelman
ogden utah