Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: lens scratches
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 06:50:50 +0000

At 11:23 AM 20/6/98 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 6/20/98 7:12:18 AM, you wrote:
>
><<Someone should snap-up this lens. Those marks are absolutely meaningless.
>There is no possible way to tell the difference between a new front element
>an one with a few light marks. Especially near the edge. I have a 180 or
>I'd grab it. $750... great great bargain.
>>>

>I don't know just exactly what lens this is since I haven't been looking at
>this for a few days, but I can testify that a few scratches on a lens make
>absolutely no difference.

I recently bought a 35 Summilux with a few light front element scratches
but the rear element is good.  It was previously used by a photog in
Cambodia and I would not be surprised that, judging by the cosmesis of the
lens barrel, it could have recorded events surrounding the Cambodian civil
war, killing fields, Pol Pot or even Nam.

The pictures it produces are very nice.  From f2.8 onwards, they are sharp
and crisp despite the front element scratches.  At f1.4 and f2, there is
some softness in the images (like an ethereal look) and discernable corner
vignetting which I consider an artform in itself.

At the princely price of $290 for which I paid (which comes in its original
shade), who can complain?  Of course I carry it around without any filter
and with that kind of history attached to it, it doubles as a conversation
piece on days that I do not feel like taking pics.

Dan K.