Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic - Contax 1.4
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 19:11:36 -0500

At 02:44 PM 6/21/98 -0400, you wrote:

><< I can vouch for this lens.  It is a fine performer, but not as good as the
>new Leica M 35 1.4 aspherical. >>
>
>Tom, how is it compared to the R35mmf1.4?

Since I remember reading tests that compared the Contax 35mm 1.4 with the
old Leica M and Nikkor lenses of the same stats as being not all that much
different - but with each having it strong points, I'd say the R is going
to be quite a bit better, since it's only slightly behind the 35 Summilux
ASPH in quality. It is a superb lens. I've owned two of them over the
years, and loved them. Jim Kuehl, who was a Leica rep for 20 some years, is
the one who turned me on to that lens, saying it's better than the
Summicron. That's probably too simple a comparison, but it's certainly a
top performer for what it's doing.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You know how to make God laugh? Make a plan. - Anonymous