Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: airports
From: MSwiek@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:04:11 EDT

Hey Luggers,

My recent experience at Washington/Dulles airport may amuse you.   The X-Ray
machine operator asked to see the M-4 I was carrying in my carry-on bag.  I
opened the case and he asked that I "turn it on" so he could "see the lens
move or lights light up, or something to show that the camera was working."  I
told him that the camera had no lights, no beeps and no batteries.  he was not
convinced.  I removed the lens, opened the back, wound the camera, fired the
shutter.  Still did not convince him that the M-4 was indeed a camera.
Finally he took camera and lens, swabbed it carefully with a special soft
cloth swab, placed the swab in a spectrometer of sorts, and only then
determined that the M-4 was not an explosive device.

Mike Swiek