Subject: [Leica] Offtopic: HP Photosmart Scanner
From: fld <fld@mozcom.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:30:01 +0800

Hello All:

I'd just like to share my two weeks experience with the above hardware for
those of you interested in getting into digital photography/scanning.

The set-up is relatively easy and straightforward. The unit comes with all
the hardware and software needed to get started. The instructions are very
thorough and precise since the cd rom comes with an instructional video on
how to open, assemble and install the supplied scsi card into the computer.

Scanning is also plenty fast. One can pre-scan/preview four frames at the
same time. You have the option of looking closing at each of the pictures
almost one after the other. Usually pre-scan takes about under 30 seconds.
If you decide that you like a particular frame, you can adjust the
exposure, crop, add saturation before the final scan. Final scan depending
on the resolution takes less than a minute for 2400 dpi. A 1200 dpi takes
roughly 20-30 seconds. That is plenty quick compared to the Microtek 35 t
plus that I tested a few weeks ago. The color bias is pretty accurate and
resembles very close to the original negative. e.g. I scanned a negative
and compared it printed over custom lab. They are very close. The software
is not complicated to use, although it does not have much tricks to it or
special effects type of stuff. But for editing colors, saturation,
cropping, it does the trick.

On really contrasty slides esp. with lots of shadows, well, it does get
tricky to adjust the biases. But if one is patient enough, you can come
close to the original. Although there is a Hamrick software out there that
helps alleviate this problem.

Output quality is pretty good. I scanned a few slides at 2400 dpi and had a
friend printed it over his LExmark Optra 1275n Color Laser printer at 8x10.
Its quite impressive. Although its not comparable to cibachrome, but
relatively speaking, looking at it from a distance of 3 to 5 feet, its like
printed on a photograph paper.

COnclusion: I highly recommend this piece of hardware for those people
wanting to get into scanning/printing. There are more expensive scanners
out there but for the price of $400++, its very hard to beat. For
webpublishing purposes, it does more more than the trick!! Although at this
point I'd like to publish some of my work at the web, i still don't know
how to do it. Perhaps someone can guide me though this.

Hope this is of help,

Ferdinand