Subject: Re: [Leica] potential image quality
From: fld <fld@mozcom.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:49:55 +0800

At 09:07 PM 7/29/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Are you trying to tell us that  f-stop for f-stop, the canon lenses were so
>inferior to the leica lenses that the pictures were unusable?   Sorry, I
>can hear these anecdotal stories till the cows come home, there is no
>friggin way the optics or camera operations of these two companies (or any
>of the major camera manufacturers) can be that different.   No way.
>
>I've been doing my best to stay out of potentially argumentative subjects,
>but this is just plain ridiculous.
>
>Dan C.

I'd have to agree with Dan's argument that there is no way that the Canon
and Leica optics are that far apart to the point that the Canon's pix under
that circumstance is unusable.

I own both set of equipment: Canon L (17-35, 28-70, 70-200/2.8L's) &
35-50-90 summicron's. I have shot these lenses side by side under low light
conditions, tripod. Sure, there might be some slight difference if compared
side by side, but unless done so, its really hard to tell the difference to
be able to say, this is a leica shot!!!

Just as a very recent example, on my last trip to the US-Yosemite to be
exact. My sister used my Canon eos1n with 28-70/2.8L and I used my M6. We
used Provia, Velvia and some Gold 100 Film. The films were processed by the
same lab, same time, etc.... After a friend mixed the two sets (one by
Leica, one by Canon). I couldn't tell anymore which was which?? When we
projected it over the slide projector. I had a hard time distinguishing
which ones were done with the Leica and which ones were done with the Canon
L. But for sure, one can tell the difference betweenm the 35 summicron
asph. and the Nikon 35 Ti!! Hands down !!

I own both sets for different reasons: sports, action, off-road conditions,
I use the Canon!!

For street photography, travel, people, potraits- I use the M !!

I like both!

regards

Ferdinand