Subject: [Leica] Defense of Aperture
From: Royfel@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:47:29 EDT

I can believe that negative comments were made about Aperture, I cannot
believe no one objected.  It is a magazine for what you might call the art
crowd, I am a member of that crowd.  The current issue features "Photographers
on Photographers" in which legendary photographers pick their current
favorites.  The selections are by Eve Arnold, Richard Avedon, Harry Callahan,
H.C.B. and so on.  I suppose if you have to lump me in with a crowd....
Subscription: 1-800-783-4903-  ext 3S1512

I love APS; the more people who use this smaller format and get used to seeing
their own pictures on it the more dazzling my 35 mm prints look.
The Leica vs. Rolli argument doesn't work.  I shot with both cameras and the
same film (400 cn).  I did the darkroom work and showed the prints to several
people who should know better and asked the to pick the 120, there simply was
no clear cut winner (a Kodak tech rep was among them).  I did this because I
was amazed, not in response to the Lug posting.  My local Leach rep was so
impressed he wanted the prints as a demonstration. (and traded me two Leica
lapel pins, a Leica polo shirt, and Leica lens cloth).  This is not to say
that I think there is no difference between 120 and 35; just no difference
between a 20 year old Rolli and modern Leica optics.  Don't think I want to
take on my Hassie.