Subject: Re: [Leica] leica CL
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:28:48 -0400

I haven't owned one for many years so this is from memory.

The CL is very compact, with a removable back and metal shutter. It has
match needle TTL metering. It does not have the solid feel of other Leicas
but, except for the meter, seems to work fine. The meter is on a swing arm
that tends to develop intermittent problems. There are bright lines in the
finder for 40 and 90mm lenses. The 40 is very small and light.

I sold mine when the meter finally quit.

Because the meter arm collides with lenes that protrude into the body the
CL can not be used with a 21 SA or early 28 (if I recall correctly)
Collapsible lenses can not be collapsed (at least fully) for the same
reasons.

Leica recommended not using any lens longer than 90mm, and the 90 no faster
than f4 because the rangefinder base is too short for accurate focus. Some
larger diameter M lenses block more than half of the viewfinder.

Cheers!

kw

>     could someone please discuss the merits or lack  thereof of the CL,
>and the question of lens interchangeability with the  M TIA Tom

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>