Subject: Re: [Leica] leica CL
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:45:18 -0400

- --IMA.Boundary.628027898

     Sure!  The Leica CL is in some ways my favorite camera (and I'm sure I
     will overlook some of the many reasons why).  As some on this list get
     exercised over things like red dots and baseplate stick-ons, let's get
     looks out of the way first: I think the CL is as fine a looking camera
     as Leica has ever came up with, and finer than many.  Concerning more
     important matters, the CL is really, REALLY! pocketable with its 40mm
     Summicron lens, and we all know, you can't take pictures unless you've
     got your camera WITH you.  That 40mm lens and the 90mm Elmar designed
     to go with it seem to me to be excellent lenses (although if you want
     details of lines of resolution and such, you'll have to get that from
     someone else).  As it happens, I use the also-dropped-from-production
     90mm Tele-Elmarit, which is comparably lightweight, compact, and for
     my purposes satisfactory as a picture taker with the CL.  The CL has a
     wonderful spot meter, which is, however, of older, slower technology
     than the M6's meter (and requires 1.35 volt batteries, although you
     can get around that with the C.R.I.S. voltage-adjusting insert and a
     standard #76, 1.5 volt, silver oxide battery); and it has a very handy
     edge-overhanging shutter-speed dial (with the shutter speeds visible
     in the viewfinder)---which it is inexcusable for the M6 not to have.
     Almost all of the M lenses work perfectly well on the CL, exceptions
     being older model 21mm and 28mm lenses with rear elements that were
     extended back inordinately and so interfere with the CL's meter arm;
     and for some reason I don't fathom, my pre-aspherical 35mm Summicron
     will not mount on my CL, but so what---I've got the 40mm!  And extreme
     wide apertures (like f/1.0 or f/1.4, or the 90mm f/2.0) provide too
     shallow a depth of field for the CL's small rangefinder baselength to
     focus accurately, but I've never had any problem focusing my 40mm f/2
     or my 90mm f/2.8, and those lenses are fast enough for most purposes.
     Finally, the CL is not as tank-like solid and rigid as the M6, but why
     should it be?  After all, it was designed to be smaller and lighter,
     and you can't have you cake and eat it too!  In any case, the CL is
     plenty tough and well-made enough to be seen for what it is, a REAL
     Leica, and for my money (oh, yes, the CL costs much less than other
     Leicas too), it's one of the best---incomparably tiny, convenient, and
     unobtrusive---an honest-to-God gem!

     Art Peterson

     P.S. Collapsable M lenses should not be collapsed on the CL, again due
     to interference with (and possible damage to) its meter arm.

     Hope that helps!