Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie shooting at wedding shower
From: Charles Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:03:23 -0500

Ron -

I can't address your high speed color film issue because I use only
B&W.  I have not tried pushing Tri-X 3 stops, but suspect you would get
better results with TMZ, Kodak's 3200 TMax film.  My experience with
that film is that it's really best if rated around 800-1000, although
you will get printable negatives at 3200.  And I'm not aware of anything
that's any faster.

As to your desired shutter speed and aperture, my incident meter (at ISO
3200) gives 125@f/11 when held 8 inches from a frosted 60 watt light
bulb.  This is the low end of your hoped-for parameters, and strikes me
as VERY bright for a whole room at night.  Check out the brightest room
in your own house to see.  Maybe the reception room really will be that
well lit, but if there's any to check it out first you ought to do so.
And, if you absolutely must have the depth of f/11-16, it would be
prudent to have a monopod along to let you lower the shutter speed if
the light isn't as bright as you want it.  While a monopod does cut down
on the spontaneity, it does wonders for the quality of the negative when
the shutter speed goes below 1/60.

Good luck with the project.  You're a braver man than I.

Cheers,
Kip Babington