Subject: Re: [Leica] Don't be shy (was wedding newbie)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:43:57 -0500

At 10:37 AM 6/26/98 +0200, you wrote:

>Nobody will remember the NICE photographer that blended with the
>woodwork and produced weak wishy-washy pictures.  Ted, I believe, is
>just protecting his source of income from newbies.

You ever hear of Dennis Reggie? He shoots weddings like Ted does. That is,
photojournalistic style. He poses about 10 minutes worth of photos, then
tells the bride to go have fun at the reception. Then he follows a shooting
list (of who to get) and shoots candids for the rest of the evening. Shoots
with a Hassleblad and Canon EOS1n with an 85mm 1.2 lens.

Now his WISHY WASHY photo style sure doesn't appeal to everyone. But it did
to Arnold Schwarzenegger, Eddie Murphy, and many others who pay big bucks
for wedding photographers to get those pictures that are different from the
standard fare of stilted posed pictures of traditional wedding photography.

I suspect he makes somewhere near $20,000 per wedding, and he turns down
300 a year. So, who is taking chances for the standard in good wedding
photography? The photographer who does it the way the bride and groom wants
it. Not how the PPofA wants is.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes