Subject: [Leica] Re:Leica shutter accuracy/Tom Shea's question
From: "Edward Gosfield III, MD" <egosfield@nni.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:12:01 -0400

At 08:46 AM 6/26/98 EDT, you wrote:

>It might be interesting to find out the experiences of other on the LUG with
>regard to shutter speed accuracy.
>
>Tom Shea

i once took my M3 to a Leica store demo where they did free superficial
CLA/Shutter check.
The technician checked my shutter and said "you haven't been using this
camera much lately, have you", and told me to fire the shutter frequently
to keep it 'loose' and accurate.  At the time he said it was about 1/2 stop
off at worst, at the higher speeds, and should improve to less than 1/3
stop with frequent use.  I hardly ever go above EI100, or 1/250, so i
haven't checked lately.  Seems to be fine, though, on test rolls with full
frame medium gray calibration (zone) shots.

I imagine that an electronic shutter, even if it becomes sticky, can within
limits self correct via its feedback circuits.

i still like and use only mechanical cameras and shutters (leica, N***n,
R****i, M*****a) although i admit to a yen [;-)]fora Pentax P67 and/or
Mamiya 7.

As a LF user i am used to inaccurate but relatively precise higher speeds.
I get the shutter checked once in a while, make a 'true speed' adhesive
strip, and paste it to the lens board.  Then i correct as necessary.  Even
my Copals are mostly within 1/3 stop, and usually within 25% up to 1/125.

I think it's generally believed (presumably supported by testing) by
manufacturers that current electronic shutters are more accurate than
mechanical ones.

ted gosfield

mailto:egosfield@nni.com