Subject: Re: [Leica] Tom Shea's comparison M6 vs. G2
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:10:14 -0800

>Christoph, thanks for you comments.  Regarding the Leica shutter, no
>mechanical focal plane cloth shutter can have the precision of a quality
>electronic focal plane shutter or even of a new mechanical metal
>focal plane shutter.

> One third of a stop
>is not much and it is a credit to Leica than they be this precise.

>It might be interesting to find out the experiences of other on the LUG with
>regard to shutter speed accuracy.

I've shot a lot of slides with my M6, often many of the same scene at the
same camera settings, and I've never seen any variation in exposure. It
might be there, but +/- 1/3 stop doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm
happy to have the imprecision in exchange for the quietness of the cloth
shutter.

It seems to me that marketing has driven many camera manufacturers to
incorporate improvements on the spec sheets that do not correspond to
improvements in a camera's utility in taking pictures.

- -Charlie
             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu