Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica S1
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 98 07:59:28 +0800

James,

Thanks for the message - I hope you are right about Leica's direction.
Can't help feeling that they should concentrate on doing what they do
best - i.e. lenses - and leave as much of the rest to others as possible.
Whilst the M series has a retro magic all of its own I would be happier
with a Canon Eos 1n with Leica lenses (were such a combo practical) than
any of the R series cameras of the last 20 years. Whilst the lenses's
image quality gives them state of the art status the cameras have always
seemed to me to be very backward: the R8 I would rate as about 15 years
behind the competition now, perhaps more given the lack of a motor drive
and whilst I would like one it is simple because it is the best available
body for R lenses. Unlike Eric I am persuaded by my own experience and
observation to believe that Leica R cameras have no significant part of
the pro market: this is a problem Leica needs to address rather more
urgently than it has for the last 30 years IMHO and indulging in digital,
jewelry, platinum specials and so on does nothing for this. The argument
that the latter subsidize the less profitable areas does not persuade me
either: if Leica cannot make money making pro-level cameras they are IMHO
obviously doomed since there reputation is based entirely upon this
premise.

It seems to me that Leica can hardly make money on their present product
lines (M and R that is) even at the stratospheric prices they reached in
recent years. The Asian crisis, falling DM/dollar rates and a few new
products have all had a profound effect on their sales positive and
negative and it remains to be seen if Leica Camera AG can cope with any
further big shocks. For example, if the new and long overdue replacement
to the M6 (or addition to the line perhaps) is not a considerable
commercial success I believe our beloved manufacturer will be in serious
trouble.

That Ted and many other photographers are perfectly satisfied with the
capabilities of the M6 only makes the challenge greater!

Bests

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist