Subject: [Leica] Once in a Lifetime
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 14:42:42 -0400

All,

A brief announcement of sorts: There is a new exhibit open at the
Smithsonian's National Air & Space Museum in Washington, DC, entitled
"Business Wings." It contains 19 large photographs, all but one of which
were taken, by yours truly, with Leica equipment, per LUG standards.
When I say large, I ain't kidding; among 18 along one wall, five are
4x6-FOOT digital Lambda blowups. One shot, on the opposite wall, taken
with an 8x10 Deardorff and a 360/6.8 APO Symmar on Velvia, was enlarged
to 20x40 (or 800 sq.) feet. This is not a misprint. Been working on the
project since December. The exhibit, now up/open, will be there through
May of 1999. The Museum estimates that 9.2 million visitors will wear
down the carpet during that time. They even gave me two credit lines,
wisely complying with my wife's iron willed demand. Yikes.

I've begun a detailed "How I did it, what I learned" post for the LUG
and a mini Web site also is nearly done, but thought that if any of you
are going to be in Washington in the next year (or are already here),
I'd mention it so that you can stop by. I'd really enjoy a critique.
(And as Roger used to say, "Shields up.")

Cheers,

David W. Almy
Annapolis, Maryland