Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica and 15 year old technology
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 06:55:33 +0200

On Sunday, June 28, 1998 11:33 PM, Dan Post [SMTP:dwpost@email.msn.com]
wrote:
> ...<CUT>...
> got rid of both my Nikon Fs in the 70s when they came out with AI, and
> tried to make me feel 'obsolete' because I still 'razzed' the notch on my
> lenses.
>........<CUT>....
>  I still use
> those same 50 and 35 mm lenses I got 25 years ago, even upgrading them
with
> a third cam... They still OUTPERFORM many of todays lenses from the other
> guys! Casual portraits taken with the 90/2,8 Elmarit-R at the store
elicited
> favorable comments from the 'kids' working there, despite the fact that
the
> lens was older than three of them!...<CUT>......

I fail to see the difference between Nikon's careful bayonet evolution and
Leica R's careful bayonet evolution. Both show the same concern regarding
compatibility and non-obsolescence. Should you get rid of your old R lenses
because the new ones have a ROM chip ? Could you not have gotten your
'notched' Nikon lenses AI'd and use them on a F4 with total compatibility ?
I think you picked one of the only wrong counter-examples....

To maintain that comparison, you'll find more or less same age N lenses
that will compete nicely with a lot of "today's lenses by other guys".

I fail to see how this logic might "justify" Leica's extremely slow pace in
introducing technological innovations in their product lines. The only
justification is that "we" or "you" Leica users do not really care and keep
on paying the price for niche marketing.

BTW, this week-end at the Photo-Puces event in Brussels, I got the
opportunity to fiddle around with most of today's and yesterday's photo
hardware. The setup which impressed me the most in there was a EOS1n +
200mmf2.8 EF: great balance, instant (really instant) reactivity, relative
silence (I found it less noisy than a R5 I tried at the next table), nice
finish. That whole (mint) setup was offered at 50 pct of the price of a new
non-APO 180mm f2.8 R lens. Did not shoot film, so I won't elaborate on
optical performance, but my preconceptions make me quite sarcastic towards
the Leica R marketing logic. The Solms people should really be more
grateful to their customers: "we" or "you" show the kind of dedication to a
company that I thought were reserved to human relationships......

Friendly regards
Alan,
Brussels-Belgium