Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and 15 year old technology
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 06:13:36 +0100

Alan wrote:

<<<<I'll argue even further: a highly proactive high tech setup potentially
(I insist on the 'potentially') allows the user to concentrate more on some
of the more strategic aspects of the process: composition, relevance of the
image, expressions, incidents, colours, shapes, whatever... Time spent
doing this is, in my point of view, MUCH more useful than playing with
aperture ring, focussing ring and speed dial.>>>>>>

Alan,

When I was "forced" to use Canon EOS 1 gear for two years due to whom I
worked for at the time, "I was not allowed to use my Leicas. Period!" I
found as I had with any of the auto everything cameras, that I became a
"lazy photographer" just for the reasons you post.

It is was like using a P&S all the time without any thought process behind
the picture. I had a much higher number of frames....also a higher number
of non-keepers!

There are some aspects of the auto cameras I found I enjoyed..."auto focus
for shooting sports events" but that was about it, as everything else I
could do on my Leica R7's at the time just as quickly.

But this comparison thing is like white cake to chocolate cake....some of
us see only good in the chocolate and others the white....Both are good! It
really comes down to preference of taste.

It's much easier to see that the auto everything has some goodies, but
without sounding bias :)  the Leica is better!  :)

ted