Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm 2.0 Aspheric
From: AJSymi@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:31:12 EDT

Ted wrote:

<< For my money, if a photographer isn't prepared to accept shooting lots of
 images wide open or very close,  my monatery common sense suggestion is,
 "don't buy aspherical!" As the aspherical costs a bundle more than the
 regular lens, why spend a pile of money if you are going to be shooting at
 8-11-16, where it will only give you the same image quality cut in the film
 as the regular lens? >>

I would agree with this as it pertains to the new 35 Summilux over the new
Summicron.  I chose the f2.0 over the f1.4 because the f1.4 was almost twice
the price, and one f-stop is not that important to my pics.  However, if you
are deciding whether to purchase a 35f2.0asph. or the former 35f2.0, go for
the asph.  New, its one of Leica's best buys at about US$1,400.

 Having used both Summicrons, I have to say that the new asph. is more than
marginally better.  IMHO, its much better!!

M2C
Arturo