Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and 15 year old technology
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:14:04 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

> Leica and 15 year old technology.
> Is it the technology that takes the heart and soul out of photography? The
> "point & shoot" $3000 F5's EOS 1's, etc? When you have so many
> buttons/levers/screens/modes/etc... to do the thinking for you, you are
> simply a recorder. Set the mode (sports, landscape, flash, etc.) set the
> autofocus (normal, predictive, follow focus, etc.), set the meter (spot,
> average, matrix, matrix bias, fuzzy, AI, etc.), and the list goes on. Then
> you stand there and push the button while pointing the camera toward the
> subject. An autobracket burst takes place... got it! But what did you do?
> You recorded a moment of time on film. No sweat. The camera did the work.
>
> Is this how we/you use a Leica? I doubt it.

umm...with all due respect jim, the camera does the work with the leica too.
so does the emulsion, paper, developer, print technician, etc etc etc.

buy yourself a HB4 pencil, a penknife, and a pad of nice drawing paper. see
how you get on.

recording moments of time on film is exactly what photography is all about,
doing so by exposing film to light, developing it, and then printing or
projecting the result.

cameras are simply tools that assist in that process.

yes, there is a different kind of technique with a auto-everything camera,
but the essence is the same.

mark